Several seasons ago, there was a duo on the Voice by the name of Midas Whale. Legend has it, one member of the duo asked the other if he wanted to form a band, and he replied “Might as well”, and thus the name was born. From then on, in the office, each decision we made because we “might as well” was referred to as a Midas Whale.
Over time, I’ve come to the realization that though he may originally appear cute and harmless, the Midas Whale is a dangerous predator. It’s so easy to follow the Midas Whale that the best alternative may be left by the wayside.
- You’re going down the path of least resistance.
- You might not truly want to take the route, but you can’t think of a reason not to.
- Your first choice wasn’t available, so this is the next best thing.
- Other people are doing it, so you think you should as well.
Before following the Midas Whale, ask yourself:
- Is there another course of action with a higher potential upside?
- Am I doing this because it’s easy, or because it’s best?
- What do my instincts say about the choice?
- Am I swimming with the current (pardon the pun) or simply being carried along?
Have you followed a Midas Whale? How did you feel about your decision?